Grandma’s Old Fashioned Chocolate Pudding Recipe
I remember as a kid my mom always made pudding from scratch, and it wasn’t until I was older before I ever saw a box of store brand in her cupboard. Once I started cooking on my own, I much preferred the old fashioned homemade chocolate pudding made with real cocoa powder to the boxed pudding mix any day.
Keeping my kitchen recipes simple and using the most basic ingredients is what I strive for.
This homemade old fashioned chocolate pudding with cocoa powder fits right into my perfect recipe file.
An old-fashion recipe made with basic ingredients that any homemaker will have on hand. This is what I love about this recipe the most, I always have everything I need in my pantry.
I’m able to buy raw milk from a local farm and our fresh eggs make this one of my go-to recipes.
Do you have a favorite old fashion recipe you use all the time?
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons of cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk (2% can be used)
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- In a medium saucepan whisk together sugar, cocoa, cornstarch and salt.
- On low heat whisk in milk one cup at a time until all combined.
- Slowly add eggs yolks whisking all together until smooth.
- Turn heat up to medium and continue to whisk until the mixture just starts to boil.
- Turn back down the heat to low and continue to whisk until pudding thickens. Approx. 2-3 minutes.
- Remove pudding from heat and stir in butter and vanilla until butter is melted and blended into pudding.
- Pour hot pudding into individual serving dishes. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for 2-3 hours.
Thanks for stopping by!
P.S. Do you like what you are reading?
Are you looking to slow down and live a simpler life?
I am so happy you’ve landed here and I can share some of the simple living principles that have made a huge difference in our lives.
To give you a place to start I have created a “5 Steps to Simple Living Guide“ that I am offering to you free.
Along with this free download, is included a complimentary subscription to our weekly Our Simple Homestead Newsletter. Each week you’ll receive simple living tips, homesteading ideas, old-fashion recipes and every once in awhile a touch of the Amish lifestyle.
Click here to receive your free download of 5 Steps to Simple Living today!
DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation from affiliate and sponsored posts on this blog.