What do I do on those days? I dig out the list of goals we came up with when we first started to talk about living a simpler life and that usually gets me back on track.
Your list may look different but this is the list we live by:
- Make Your Lifestyle a Priority– We knew we wanted to live in the country, grow vegetables, raise animals and be self-sufficient. We wanted to re-live our childhood by smelling hay, gathering eggs and having a pantry full of home-canned food. Determine the lifestyle you want and make it a priority!
- Enjoy Every Task – A big part of living simple is slowing down, which can be a real challenge for a society that is consumer driven by the fastest, newest, and next best thing. Whether it’s cleaning a chicken coop or building a fence, we try hard to enjoy the task at hand. We work hard and laugh often.
- Know What we Want– For us, there was nothing that could hold us back from living our dream. For our sanity, we knew we had to change, to get back to our roots and build a life in the country. It didn’t come easy, but through hard work and determination we accomplished our life-long goal. Figure out what’s important to you and let nothing stand in your way!
- Connect with Nature – It’s so natural to feel the dirt between your fingers and the sun on your face. One of the first steps to living a simpler life is allowing the wonders of nature to connect with your soul. Take a walk, plant a flower, listen to the birds and you’ll be amazed at its calming effect on your personal well-being.
- Make the Most of Everyday –Stop worrying about tomorrow and live for today. Moving to the country far away from the hustle of the city made us realize that our time here on earth is short and made us want to live each day to its fullest.
Wherever you are, whatever you’re doing, stop and make a list of goals and when life starts to take a turn dig it out and get back on track.
If you want to jump start your simple living life changes I would highly recommend reading “The More of Less“ by Joshua Becker.
I started reading his book on a day I wanted to buy something for convenience rather than need. After just a couple chapters I remembered why we made a choice to live a simpler lifestyle. Not because we wanted to give up so much, but because we wanted to live a richer more fulfilling lifestyle. I love living on less and better yet I love wanting less! To us, that is what living a simple life is all about.
“I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review.”
P.S. Do you like what you are reading? Join the homestead and homemaking movement and get some Our Simple Homestead inspiration delivered straight to your inbox! Sign up Now!
DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation from affiliate and sponsored posts on this blog.