- Citrus fruit peels (lemon, orange, etc.) – enough to fill in a jar
- 10-15 drops of essential oils (or as many as you wish)
- 1 tablespoon of salt
- Distilled water
- Clean glass containers
- Clean spray bottle
- Take a clean glass container. Cut citrus fruit peels. Oranges are great for this recipe. Stuff the jars with citrus fruit peels and add some salt. Let sit for about half an hour or longer enough for the salt to remove the oil from the citrus fruit peels. Don’t put too much salt. You only need to cover the peels lightly.
- The next step is to pour distilled water and vinegar into the jar. Your options include: filling half the way of the container with vinegar and adding water to the top; pouring ¾ vinegar and ¼ water; or doing all vinegar. The choice is all yours. No matter which option you choose, it will work. Don’t add the essential oils, not yet. You’ll add them later.
- Cover the jar with a tight fitting lid and store in cool, dry place. Remember to mark the jar so you know which day you made it. You should let the solution sit several weeks. The longer you wait the better. When the time has elapsed, go back to the jar. Strain the citrus peels. Take a clean spray bottle and fill it with the solution. This is a right time to add essential oils of your choice. Add 5 to 15 drops of your favorite essential oil and shake well.
Use this all-purpose cleaner to clean your countertops, mirrors, windows, floors, tables, worktops and even your appliances. You may have to scrub longer than usual because the solution does not contain any chemicals. However, it won’t take ages to get your kitchen surfaces gleaming. Don’t restrict the use of the cleaner to the kitchen. Use it to disinfect your bathroom tiles, sink, tub and shower. The fresh smell of citrus fruits is much better than that of commercial household cleaners.
The best part about this homemade cleaner is that it doesn’t smell of vinegar. Lots of people can’t stand the scent of vinegar. Using this citrus cleaner, your surfaces will smell great. Plus, there are no nasty or toxic fumes that usually linger in the air when you use conventional cleaners. This recipe is very easy to make and healthy for your family and the environment.
Last but not least, this recipe is thrifty. All the ingredients are inexpensive. You will not only cut down on household expenses, but also protect your home from toxic chemicals. This is a great option if a family member suffers from asthma.
The only downside is that you have to wait for three to four weeks to have a new solution. Our advice is to prepare another one as soon as you begin using the first one. This way you will never run out of citrus kitchen sprays.
This amazing recipe is presented byW9 CityCleaners. She is well aware of the needs of every household and the most common cleaning tasks that have to be done by every housewife. That’s why she suggests to use this spray for the everyday household cleaning and guarantee it really works perfect.
P.S. Do you like what you are reading? Join the homestead and homemaking movement and get some Our Simple Homestead inspiration delivered straight to your inbox! Sign up Now!
DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation from affiliate and sponsored posts on this blog.