I’m reading a great book right now that I just have to share.
I just had to stop and share a part of this book and encourage anyone that is looking to live out the role God intended you to have as a wife, to stop and go buy, borrow or rent this book.
The book is “The Excellent Wife: A Biblical Perspective”. Below is a snippet of one of my favorite chapters.
Eighteen Ways a Wife May be the Glory of Her Husband
- Ask your husband, “What are your goals for the week?”
- Ask your husband, “How can I help you to accomplish these goals?”
- Ask your husband, “Is there anything that I can do differently that would make it easier for you?”
- Be organized with cleaning, grocery shopping, laundry, and cooking. As you fulfill your God-given responsibilities, your husband is then free to do his work.
- Save some of your energy every day for him.
- Put him first over the children, your parents, friends, job, ladies, Bible studies, etc.
- Willing and cheerfully rearrange your schedule for him when necessary.
- Talk about him in a positive light to others. Do not slander him at all, even if what you are saying is true.
- Do whatever you can to make him look good, to accomplish his goals. Some examples are to offer to run errands for him, organize your day to be available to help him with his projects, pray for him and make good suggestions. Give him the freedom not to use your suggestions, and do not be offended if he does not follow it.
- Consider his work (job, goals, hobbies, and work for the Lord) as more important than your own.
- Think of specific ways that you can help him accomplish his goals. Examples are get up each morning to help him get off to work having a good breakfast, take care in recording telephone messages for him, anticipate any needs he may have in order to attain a specific goal and keep careful records of money spent to keep up with the budget.
- Consider the things that you are involved in. How do they glorify your husband? Ask his guidance.
- Be warm and gracious to his family and friends. Make your commitment to him obvious to them.
- Do and say things that build him up instead of tearing him down.
- Dress and apply your makeup in an attractive manner that is pleasing to your husband.
- When your husband sins, reprove him in private and gently, always giving him hope and pointing him to the Lord.
- Encourage him to use his spiritual gifts in ministry.
- Realize that just as God is glorified when man obeys Him, your husband is glorified when you obey your husband.
The question always comes up, what if your husband is not a Christian? What if he is not glorifying the Lord? I’m reminded of a story that my grandmother told me once about her patents. They were born around the time of the Civil War. Apparently, her mother was a Christian and her father was not. Reflecting back, my grandmother told her how her mother always wanted to please him. In order to please her husband, she was gentle and kind and cooperated in all of the many relocation moves they made. Her usual answer when he requested something was, “Yes, Dad”. She did not complain or grumble. She seemed to go gladly along with him in his plans. Even when she differed, she still respectfully supported him. I asked my grandmother, “How did your father treat your mother?” and she said, “he adored her”. Well, my great-grandfather may not have glorified Christ but my great-grandmother did by magnifying her husband, by living out the role that God intended for her. A special blessing for her was how her husband treated and loved her. You see, a Christian woman can do the right thing and fulfill her God-given role regardless of whether her husband fulfills his or not.
Again the book is “The Excellent Wife” by Martha Peace and I highly recommend it.
Thanks for stopping by!
P.S. Do you like what you are reading?
Are you looking to slow down and live a simpler life?
I am so happy you’ve landed here and I can share some of the simple living principles that have made a huge difference in our lives.
To give you a place to start I have created a “5 Steps to Simple Living Guide“ that I am offering to you free.
Along with this free download, is included a complimentary subscription to our weekly Our Simple Homestead Newsletter. Each week you’ll receive simple living tips, homesteading ideas, old-fashion recipes and every once in awhile a touch of the Amish lifestyle.
Click here to receive your free download of 5 Steps to Simple Living today!
DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation from affiliate and sponsored posts on this blog.