I have to admit I have struggled over the years with making the perfect meringue. Either it was too runny, too grainy or just a big flop!
After my last failure I did some research, called my mother for advice and was determined to overcome my fear of making meringue.
I would consider myself a pretty good cook, so I was determined to find a meringue recipe and instructions that would be fail-proof. Finally, I have mastered making the perfect meringue!
What I learned:
- Only use sparkling clean glass bowls free from grease and oil.
- If using, farm fresh eggs use eggs that are at least four to five days old.
- Separate eggs carefully, making sure there is absolutely no yolk mixed in with the egg whites.
- Always separate whites from yolks with cold eggs, and into a glass container.
- Let the egg whites sit until they have reached room temperature. Usually about 1/2 hour.
- Beat egg whites at the highest setting of your mixture until foamy and then start to add the sugar very slowly, only about one tablespoon at a time.
- Use powdered sugar instead of granulated sugar it dissolves quicker.
- Continue to mix until soft, stiff peaks form.
- The most important tip is to NEVER make meringue on a rainy or high humidity day.
The meringue recipe:
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 3 room temperature egg whites, preferably from fresh eggs are at least four days old.
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla
- Combine egg whites and cream of tartar in the glass bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment; set mixer to medium speed and mix until egg whites are foaming, about 2 minutes.
- Turn mixer to highest speed and slowly add powdered sugar, one tablespoon at a time. Whip until stiff peaks form.
- Mix in 1 teaspoon of vanilla until blended at the very end.
I hope my tips will save you the time and trouble I had in mastering the perfect meringue!
P.S. Do you like what you are reading? Join the homestead and homemaking movement and get some Our Simple Homestead inspiration delivered straight to your inbox! Sign up Now!
DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation from affiliate and sponsored posts on this blog.