Dye Easter Eggs Naturally
What happens when your eggs are all boiled, dried and ready to color and you have no egg dye?
You go all natural!
You can easily color your Easter eggs with dyes made with things found in your pantry, like fruits, vegetables and spices. Experiment with ingredients such as red cabbage, blackberries, coffee, tea, tumeric and even grape juice.
I’m a huge advocate for simple and natural living! And even though coloring eggs naturally takes a bit longer, knowing there’s nothing chemically added makes this girl happy!
Want to know how to dye eggs naturally?
First, hard-boil one dozen white or brown eggs. Use distilled white vinegar in all recipes.
Give one or all of these natural colors a try. You’ll never be a slave to store-bought Easter egg dye again!
- PINK – Add 1 teaspoon vinegar to 1 cup canned beet juice and soak hard eggs in the mixture for 10 minutes.
- BLUE – Add 1 teaspoon vinegar to 1 cup canned grape juice and soak eggs in the mixture for 10 minutes.
- BLUE – Mix 1 cup frozen blueberries with 1 cup boiled water, bring to room temperature, and remove blueberries and soak eggs for 10 minutes.
- YELLOW – Dip eggs 1 cup hot water mixed with 1 teaspoon tumeric and a splash of vinegar for 10 minutes.
- ORANGE-RED – Boil 1 cup water with 1 tablespoon chili powder for 30 seconds. Add 1 teaspoon vinegar. Dip eggs in the solution while it’s still hot.
- BROWN – Use 1 cup cooled, strong leftover coffee. Add a splash of vinegar, then add the egg let sit for 10 minutes.
- YELLOW-GREEN – Steam 1 pound asparagus, save 1 cup of the cooking water. Add 1 tablespoon vinegar to the water. Dip the eggs in the solution let sit for 10 minutes.
- TAN – Boil 1 cup water with the brown skins of 3 or 4 yellow onions. Boil the eggs in the water.
My grandkids had so much fun naturally coloring their Easter eggs. We loved seeing the results.
If you raise your own backyard chickens that lay brown eggs, use the tan coloring dyes. The brown eggs made a wonderful deep color!
Thanks for stopping by!
P.S. Do you like what you are reading?
Are you looking to slow down and live a simpler life?
I am so happy you’ve landed here and I can share some of the simple living principles that have made a huge difference in our lives.
To give you a place to start I have created a “5 Steps to Simple Living Guide“ that I am offering to you free.
Along with this free download, is included a complimentary subscription to our weekly Our Simple Homestead Newsletter. Each week you’ll receive simple living tips, homesteading ideas, old-fashion recipes and every once in awhile a touch of the Amish lifestyle.
Click here to receive your free download of 5 Steps to Simple Living today!
DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation from affiliate and sponsored posts on this blog.