The easiest way to can venison
The flavor and texture of canned venison is unlike anything I can describe. It’s tender, tasty and makes an excellent addition to any stew or hearty dish you make!
Canning venison is simple and quick.
What takes the longest is processing the jars in the pressure canner. Preparing the meat and filling jars takes no time at all.
Here is my step-by-step instruction on how to can venison:
- Wash as many quart jars and lids to fit into your pressure canner.
- Heat jars in a saucepan filled with water brought to a simmer. Keep jars in hot water until ready to fill.
- Cut chilled meat into pieces suitable for canning. Cut the slices across the grain into 1-inch thick cubes. Trim away any gristle and excess fat.
- Fill each hot jar 3/4 full with meat cubes. – DO NOT ADD ANY WATER. Processing will produce an excellent rich broth all by itself.
- Add 1 teaspoon of beef base to each quart jar. (I use Better Than Bouillon Beef Base)
- Wipe rims of jars and secure lid and ring.
- Follow your pressure canner instructions to process meat.
- My pressure canner instructs me to process quarts for 90 minutes at 10 pounds of pressure, but again please refer to your pressure canner for guidance.
What I find the most amazing is even if your meat is tough, canning it will tenderize it to where is just melts in your mouth.
Thanks for stopping by!
P.S. Do you like what you are reading?
Are you looking to slow down and live a simpler life?
I am so happy you’ve landed here and I can share some of the simple living principles that have made a huge difference in our lives.
To give you a place to start I have created a “5 Steps to Simple Living Guide“ that I am offering to you free.
Along with this free download, is included a complimentary subscription to our weekly Our Simple Homestead Newsletter. Each week you’ll receive simple living tips, homesteading ideas, old-fashion recipes and every once in awhile a touch of the Amish lifestyle.
Click here to receive your free download of 5 Steps to Simple Living today!
DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation from affiliate and sponsored posts on this blog.