Here are my top 5 ways you can simplify your life today!
- Spend some quiet time alone – We are programed to have lots of friends, to spend time with those we love and to always have people around us, but what we need is alone time. You may be uncomfortable being alone and it may take some practice getting used to, but it is important we learn how to sit quietly and let our brain rest. Sitting outside or in a quiet room, close your eyes and just take the time to let everything in your mind drift away. Take in the sound of the birds, the tick-tock of a clock or whatever you hear and enjoy the peaceful simplicity of quiet solitude.
- Turn off all electronics – I know it may be hard, but take an hour every day and live without your electronics. Shut off the TV, turn the radio off in the car, turn your cell phone off and get up away from your computer. Facebook is not going anywhere and you won’t die if you miss a tweet or two, so go on an electronic fast every day. Our minds were not meant to have so much stimulation and in order to find balance and peace in our lives we must give time for our mind to rest.
- Leave enough time to drive slowly – Before we even start our day most of us are stressing about our morning commute. By leaving just 10 minutes early, you can take the time to drive in the slow lane and enjoy your surroundings. Life passes us by so quickly and if we do not take the time to enjoy it, are we living? Leave the honking and frustrated driving to someone else and just enjoy the ride.
- Empty your email box – There is a sense of accomplishment when you know that your email box has been cleaned and organized. First, go through your box and delete all unwanted emails. Next respond to all emails that will take less than 30 seconds to answer and finally set a time limit for working on your emails. When your time limit has passed shut off your email and go to your next project.
- Learn how to say no – The fastest way to simplify your life is by learning how to limit your commitments and knowing when to say no. The word no is such a simple word, but it also can be a hard word to learn to say. Often we say yes to avoid letting someone down. I know first hand that the day I started saying no to projects that would stress me out was the day I started living simply.
Which of these steps can you apply today, so you can start to slow down and simplify your life?