We have learned that living simple really isn’t simple at all. It took some time for us to learn how to start living a simple life, slow down and find ways to simplify our life. We had to dig deep and figure out what was important to us. It took changing our mindset on how we wanted to live.
Growing up in rural Pennsylvania we had the joy of being surround with a simpler way of life.
I can still close my eyes and see the lush green pastures, smell freshly mowed hay and see an endless array of Amish buggies driving by. Life back then seemed so much simpler. It was a life we dreamed about and one we were determined to have.
Your dream may not be to live on a farm, but whatever is inspiring you to slow down take a good look at your life and try to apply some of these basic living simple principles.
Here are a few tips on how to start living a simple life:
- Make your lifestyle a priority – I knew early on I wanted to live in the country, grow my own food, raise animals and be as self-sufficient as I could be. I wanted to re-live my childhood by smelling hay and gathering eggs. I wanted to see a pantry full of canned food, and my husband wanted to hunt his own land and till his own fields. That was the life we dreamed of. Whatever is inspiring you, determine the lifestyle you want and make it a priority!
- Slow down and enjoy every task – A big part of living simple is slowing down. This can be a real challenge for a society that is driven by the fastest, newest, next best thing. Whether it is cleaning a chicken coop or building a fence, we try hard to enjoy the task at hand. We live in the moment and not let our minds wander to the list of other chores waiting for us, we find ways to make our work fun. We work hard and laugh often.
- Know what is important – For us there was nothing that could hold us back from living our dream. We knew for our own sanity we had to change, to get back to our roots, and build a life in the country by setting up a homestead. It didn’t come easy, but through hard work and determination we accomplished our life long dream. Figure out what is really important to you and let nothing stand in your way!
- Connect with nature – There is something so natural about feeling dirt between your fingers, sand between your toes or the sun on your face. One of the first steps to living a simpler life is allowing the wonders of nature to connect with your soul. Start today by taking a break to enjoy nature, and its calming effect.
- Make the most of today – If you are in the first stages of slowing down or a seasoned at simple living, stop worrying about tomorrow and live for today. Literally stop and smell the roses. Moving to the country, far away for the hustle of the city made us realize that our time here on earth is short and made us want to live each day to its fullest. When we stopped worrying about tomorrow …we started living for today.
Where ever you are, whatever you’re doing, stop and make a list of these five points. Figure out what lifestyle you want to live, slow down and concentrate on the task at hand, know what is important to you, take a break to enjoy nature and make the most of every day. Simple living is only a few steps away…take yours today!
Thanks for stopping by!
P.S. Do you like what you are reading?
Are you looking to slow down and live a simpler life?
I am so happy you’ve landed here and I can share some of the simple living principles that have made a huge difference in our lives.
To give you a place to start I have created a “5 Steps to Simple Living Guide“ that I am offering to you free.
Along with this free download, is included a complimentary subscription to our weekly Our Simple Homestead Newsletter. Each week you’ll receive simple living tips, homesteading ideas, old-fashion recipes and every once in awhile a touch of the Amish lifestyle.
Click here to receive your free download of 5 Steps to Simple Living today!
DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation from affiliate and sponsored posts on this blog.