Old-fashion Chocolate Pudding
I remember as a kid my mom always made pudding from scratch, and it wasn’t until I was older before I ever saw a box of store brand in her cupboard. Once I started cooking on my own, I much preferred the homemade pudding taste to the boxed pudding mix any day.
Keeping my kitchen recipes simple and using the most basic ingredients is what I strive for.
This homemade chocolate pudding with cocoa powder fits right into my perfect recipe file.
Old-fashion recipe made with basic ingredients that any homemaker will have on hand. This is what I love about this recipe the most, I always have everything I need in my pantry.
I’m able to buy raw milk from a local farm and our fresh eggs makes this one of my go-to recipes.
Do you have a favorite old fashion recipe you use all the time?
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons of cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk (2% can be used)
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- In a medium saucepan whisk together sugar, cocoa, cornstarch and salt.
- On low heat whisk in milk one cup at a time until all combined.
- Slowly add eggs yolks whisking all together until smooth.
- Turn heat up to medium and continue to whisk until the mixture just starts to boil.
- Turn back down the heat to low and continue to whisk until pudding thickens. Approx. 2-3 minutes.
- Remove pudding from heat and stir in butter and vanilla until butter is melted and blended into pudding.
- Pour hot pudding into individual serving dishes. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for 2-3 hours.
Thanks for stopping by!
P.S. Do you like what you are reading?
Are you looking to slow down and live a simpler life?
I am so happy you’ve landed here and I can share some of the simple living principles that have made a huge difference in our lives.
To give you a place to start I have created a “5 Steps to Simple Living Guide“ that I am offering to you free.
Along with this free download, is included a complimentary subscription to our weekly Our Simple Homestead Newsletter. Each week you’ll receive simple living tips, homesteading ideas, old-fashion recipes and every once in awhile a touch of the Amish lifestyle.
Click here to receive your free download of 5 Steps to Simple Living today!
DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation from affiliate and sponsored posts on this blog.